Project: Canyone Lake Water Service Company (CLWSC) US 281 Water Main Adjustment
Location: Spring Branch, TX
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is currently constructing a four-lane highway on US 281. This is the most viable alternative route between San Antonio and Austin, a scenic highway that traces old Hill Country towns as it moves north-and-south. Some portions of the highway are still two-lane roadways, though they carry traffic at speeds of 60 miles per hour.
In order to improve the safety in this area while panning for projected growth in Comal County, TxDOT has begun building new lanes on Highway 281 between River Crossing and the Blanco-Comal county line, turning the roadway into a four-lane divided highway.
The two-year roadway project began early January 2013 and is expected to cost $30.5 million. Canyon Lake Water Service Company (CLWSC) as the water purveyor in the area has their main water transmission lines adjacent to the TxDOT ROW. This proposed roadway expansion required the relocation of the existing 16” PVC water main.
Mendez Engineering was retained by CLWSC as the Prime Consultant to develop a water transmission project to extend approximately 12,200 linear feet (2.3 miles) of 16” diameter ductile iron pipe along US 281. Our proposed plans were designed utilizing Mendez Engineering Team’s years of experience and expertise in pipeline design and construction to minimize impacts to property owners and the traveling public.
Mendez Engineering was also retained by CLWSC to provide construction management services and task order construction inspection services for this project. CLWSC tasks orders include:
- Monitor and document job site safety
- Monitor and document SWPPP implementation
- Attend pre-construction meetings
- Attend regular on-site construction meetings
- Attend utility coordination meetings
- Coordinate traffic control implementation
- Daily observation of construction
- Review contractor submittals
- Maintain on-site project documents
- Review and approve payment applications
- Coordinate testing with CLWSC
- Assist CLWSC Project Manager
- Monitor punch list items
- Coordinate As-builts and warranty walk-through
- Consult with CLWSC on work progress and construction potential issues and issues
- Assist Project Manager with 1-year warranty process
- Coordinate construction activities between contractors and utility companies